Cuddalore

From FIBIwiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Cuddalore
[[Image:|250px| ]]
Presidency: Madras
Coordinates: 11.741357°N 79.78214°E
Altitude: 1m (3ft)
Present Day Details
Place Name: Cuddalore
State/Province: Tamil Nadu
Country: India
Transport links
South Indian Railway
FibiWiki Maps
See our interactive map of this location showing
places of interest during the British period
[xxxxx Cuddalore]



Cuddalore is a city on the Coromandel Coast, around 100 miles south of Madras. Cuddalore was a large port town in the British era and the headquarters of South Arcot District in Madras. The town was the site of Fort St David.
Pondicherry is around 15 miles up the coast.

The station at this town was on the South Indian Railway metre gauge (MG) 'Madras-Tuticorin Mainline'

Contents

History

In 1684, the East India Company gained permission from the Khan of Gingee to open a port at Cuddalore. Trade increased so rapidly that Fort St David was built in the following decade. Cuddalore changed hands several times during the Carnatic Wars.

When Fort St George was taken by the French in 1746, the Presidency headquarters transferred to Fort St David until 1752.

Military history

External links

Cuddalore Town Imperial Gazetteer

Historical books online