|Present Day Details|
|South Indian Railway|
|See our interactive map of this location showing|
places of interest during the British period
Cuddalore is a city on the Coromandel Coast, around 100 miles south of Madras. Cuddalore was a large port town in the British era and the headquarters of South Arcot District in Madras. The town was the site of Fort St David.
Pondicherry is around 15 miles up the coast.
In 1684, the East India Company gained permission from the Khan of Gingee to open a port at Cuddalore. Trade increased so rapidly that Fort St David was built in the following decade. Cuddalore changed hands several times during the Carnatic Wars.
- Fort St David 1746-48
- Battle of the Governor's House 1746
- Loss of Fort St David 1758
- Loss of Cuddalore 1781
- Battle of Cuddalore 1783
Cuddalore Town Imperial Gazetteer
Historical books online
- Cuddalore page 79, The Edinburgh Medical and Surgical Journal Volume 68 1847. Cuddalore was then the depot for European pensioners.
- Manual of the South Arcot District by J H Garstin, Collector of South Arcot. 1878 Archive.org. Also available at Kerala State Central Library Rare Books Online, with a mirror version on Archive.org