24th Regiment of Punjab Infantry
Known as 24th Punjabis
- 1857 formed as 16th Regiment of Punjab Infantry
- 1861 became 24th Bengal Native Infantry
- 1864 became 24th (Punjab) Bengal Native Infantry
- 1885 became 24th (Punjab) Bengal Infantry
- 1901 became 24th Punjab Infantry
- 1922 amalgamated with five other regiments to form the 6-battalion 14th Punjab Regiment (4th Battalion)
- 1947 allocated to Pakistan on Partition
- 1956 amalgamated into The Punjab Regiment
First World War
Regimental history: War Records of the 24th Punjabis 1914-20: 4th Battalion 14th Punjab Regiment by A. B. Haig, previously Commanding Officer of the Regiment. First published 1934.
Available in a reprint edition, which in turn is available online on the Ancestry owned pay website fold3, see below.
The regiment fought in the campaign in Mesopotamia (today’s Iraq) from April 1915. It took part in the battle of Shaiba, the advance to Ctesiphon, and the retreat to Kut-al-Amara that followed. The 24th was effectively destroyed in the subsequent siege. The survivors were compelled to surrender when General Sir Charles Townshend capitulated in April 1916 and subsequently suffered greatly in Turkish captivity. The Regiment was subsequently reformed with new personnel and again served in Mesopotamia – and later in Salonika, south Russia and Anatolia between 1917 and 1920.
- 24th Punjabis British Empire Website
- 14th Punjab Regiment Wikipedia
- The Punjab Regiment Wikipedia
- Anatolian Incident: The 24th Punjabis at Ismid, Turkey, 15 June 1920 from Harry’s Sideshows by Harry Fecitt (kaiserscross.com). In January 1919 the 24th Punjabis joined the Allied Army of The Black Sea which was tasked with ensuring that Turkey complied with the terms of the Armistice. Also see Norperforce for more about the Army of the Black Sea.
- 14th Punjab Regiment, an extract from John Gaylor's book Sons Of John Company. Defence Journal Karachi August 1999, now archived.
- 14th Punjab Regiment Burma Star Association
- Pakistan: The Punjab Regiment to 1957 by Babur Mahmood September 1, 2002 orbat.com, now archived.
Historical books online
- War Records of the 24th Punjabis 1914-20: 4th Battalion 14th Punjab Regiment by A. B. Haig, previously Commanding Officer of the Regiment, first published 1934, is available in a reprint edition, which in turn is available online on the Ancestry owned pay website fold3 (located in World War II/Military Books/India).
- Cassandra. Indian troops in the Boxer Rebellion, 1900 Victorian Wars Forum 3 May 2018. Retrieved 10 September 2018.
- War Records of the 24th Punjabis 1914-20: 4th Battalion 14th Punjab Regiment by A. B. Haig. Naval & Military Press reprint edition.