7th Regiment of Foot
Also known as The Royal Fusiliers
- 1685 raised as the Ordnance Regiment by Lord Dartmouth
- 1751 became 7th Regiment of Foot (Royal Fusiliers)
- 1881 became The Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment)
- 1968 amalgamated with the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers (5th Regiment of Foot), The Royal Warwickshire Fusiliers (6th Regiment of Foot) and the Lancashire Fusiliers (20th Regiment of Foot) to form 3rd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers
Cholera epidemic in 1869
There was a cholera epidemic in the Regiment in 1869 at Saugor, in Central India. The referenced description refers to the book A Soldier’s Experience: ... showing the price of war in blood and treasure ... By one of the Royal Fusiliers,Timothy Gowing. This book is available online, refer Historical Books below.
- Royal Fusiliers Royal Fuzileers Website
- Royal Fusiliers Wikipedia
- The Fusiliers In London: The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers includes
- The Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) including deployments: 1st Battalion, 2nd Battalion Regiments.org, an archived site.
- North West Kent Family History Society
- The Fusilier Museum, London includes
- About Us/Regimental history and About Us/Timeline
- Our Collection/Research/Resources/Research Documents including Location of Battalions 1685-1968 compiled and edited by J P Kelleher. Same download, rrflondon.2day.uk
- Some details of Indian service, now an archived webpage.
- Previously available, Family photograph of Colour Sergeant Rowe 1st Battalion Poona 1889 (wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Family-photo-India-1889.jpg) perhaps may become located via the Search.
Historical books online
- A Soldier's Experience: Or, A Voice from the Ranks Showing the Cost of War in Blood and Treasure. A Personal Narrative of the Crimean Campaign, the Indian Mutiny, the Afghan Campaigns of 1863 by one of the Royal Fusiliers (Timothy Gowing) 1892, (first published 1883). Archive.org. Indian section commences page 251 including "The Umballah Campaign of 1863", page 315 and "Letters from India", page 339
- Historical Records of the 7th or Royal Regiment of Fusiliers now known as the Royal Fusiliers (the City of London Regiment) 1685-1903. Compiled from histories of the Royal Fusiliers by the late Mr. Cannon...and the late Colonel G.H. Waller...and from ms. records and journals supplied by the Officers of the Regiment… by John Percy Groves 1903 HathiTrust Digital Library
- The Royal Fusiliers in the Great War by H C O'Neill 1922 Archive.org. In addition to the Western Front, includes Gallipoli, Salonika and East Africa.
- The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers by the Fusiliers Museum, HM Tower of London. Catalogued 1999. A book of 49 pages. Archive.org Books to Borrow/Lending Library.