The Bezwada-Madras Railway was surveyed in November 1893 by Consulting Engineer Francis Joseph Edward Spring. The 1898 detailed scale drawings of bridges, stations, offices, railway station machinery, temporary buildings, road crossings designs of were made by E J Moore Engineer-in-Chief of the Bezwada-Madras Railway and J C Lyle being his Assistant. 
The 273 mile(440km) broad gauge(BG) railway was built and operated by the Madras Railway Company. The ‘Madras-Bezwada Railway Section’ was constructed from 1893 and fully opened by 1899 linking Madras to Bezwada via Gudur and Nellore. The ‘Gudur - Nellore Section’ had first been constructed as a metre gauge(MG) line by the South Indian Railway(SIR) which had opened in 1888 and converted by the Madras Railway into BG line in 1899. .
No Staff Lists have been found.
The “Indian Biographical Dictionary” gives Ernest Ifill Shadbolt, Public Works Department, Executive Engineer from 1888 to 1893 as 'Engineer-in-Chief of the Bezwada-Madras Railway Survey and Madura-Pamban, Tinnevelly-Quilon Railway Surveys ' 
- Google Books - "India and Indian Office List, 1905 - Record of Services" page 546;Retrieved 16 Apr 2016
- “Administration Report on Railways 1918” page 82 (pdf 90) ; Retrieved 24 Dec 2017
- “Indian Biographical Dictionary” 1915 page 390; Retrieved on 27 May 2016