Francis Joseph Edward Spring
Francis Joseph Edward Spring Sir KCIE, MAI (1849-1933) entered the Indian Imperial Civil Service's engineering section in 1870. He served as Consulting Engineer to the Government of India(GoI) and played a pivotal role in the development of railways in East India. 
Railway Acheivements in India
- 1873-1878 Punjab Northern State Railway(PNSR) survey and construction of various parts of that railway and a number of complex and vital bridges to connect Lahore to Peshawar, 270 miles(430km).
- In 1878 promoted to the temporary position of Executive Engineer, which was confirmed in 1880, and had charge of a division of the Bhavnagar-Gondal-Junagad-Porbandar Railway.
- 1880-84, Bengal-Nagpur Railway Survey and the Benares-Cuttack Railway Survey
- 1884, appointed Under-Secretary to the Government of Bengal on the Public Works Department, Railway Branch, and assistant to the Chief Engineer of Bengal.
- 1888 he became Secretary for the Railway Board, Bombay, a post which he only held for a few months as he then received the appointment of Government Consulting Engineer in Assam.
- 1891 Secretary for Railways to the Government of Madras.
- 1893-? Manager of the extensive East Coast State Railway which opened from Cuttack via Khurda Road to Puri.
- 1893 Bezwada-Madras Railway Survey; opened in 1899 as part of the Madras and Southern Mahratta Railway
- 1896 Deputy Secretary of the Railway Board of the Government of India(GoI) and Secretary in 1897.
- 1897-1900 Consulting Engineer for the Havelock Bridge taking the main line over the Godavari River.
- 1902 Consulting Engineer for the Hardinge Bridge to carry the broad gauge(BG) East Bengal Railway(EBR) for easier communication between Calcutta and Eastern Bengal and Assam.
- 1904 retired with the rank of Chief Engineer, 1st class.
- Wikipedia "Francis Spring" Retrieved on 18 Apr 2016
- Google Books " India List and India Office List, 1905" pages 618 (pdf page 581) Retrieved on 18 Apr 2016
- "Institute of Civil Engineers Proceedings - Obituary" Volume 237 Issue 1934, 1934, pp. 643-645 Retrieved on 18 Apr 2016
- "Grace's Guide - Francis Joseph Edward Spring" Retrieved on 18 Apr 2016