The Ravi Railway Bridge is situated between Sadiq Pura, Lahore and Shahdara Bagh on Ravi river. The construction work on this bridge was started in 1871 and completed in 1876. It is composed of 33 iron trusses over many brick piers protected from scour by concrete blocks.
The PNSR with threee associated bridges, was the first attempt of railway construction under the newly formed Public Works Department - Railway Branch.
The bridges were :-
- ‘Chenab / Alexandra Bridge’ over the River Chenab - shown as C on map
- ‘Jhelum Bridge’, over the River Jhelum - shown as J on map
- ‘Ravi Bridge’, over the River Ravi- shown as R on map
The bridge was constructed by the PNSR in accordance with Government Railway Gauge policy at the time (See separate page ‘Railway Gauge’ ). This policy was reversed in Jan 1874 and the conversion of this section to broad gauge(BG) was completed in 1876
The details of the construction are fully given in the ‘Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers, 1878’ .
- Francis Joseph Edward Spring was deployed from the Indian Imperial Civil Service's engineering section in 1873 as Consulting Engineer for the survey of the PNSR and the construction of various parts of that Railway and Bridges, including the Ravi Bridge.
- "Minutes of the Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers" Volume 54 Issue 1878, 1878, pp. 61-70; Retrieved on 28 Apr 2016
- ‘Minutes of the Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers’ Volume 54 Issue 1878, 1878, pp. 61>"; Retrieved on 15 Nov 2020