Powayan Light Railway
|Powayan Light Railway|
|Line of route|
|Shahjahanpur to Mailani|
|Gauge / mileage|
|Narrow (2'6") gauge||40 miles (1905)|
|1890||First section opened as the |
Powayan Steam Tramway
|1894||Tramway fully opened to traffic|
|?||Branch to |
Rosa Sugar Factory Tramway
|1904||Line further extended to Mailani|
|Stations||Pawayan, Shahjahanpur, Mailani|
|1890||Owned and operated by |
Powayan Steam Tramway Company
|1900||Rohilkund and Kumaon Railway|
|How to interpret this infobox|
The Powayan Light Railway was a 2ft 6in/762mm narrow gauge(NG) railway which was first owned and worked by the Powayan Steam Tramway Company (see for early history). In some references also described as the Shahjahanpur-Mailani Tramway.
The section from Shahjahanpur via Rosa Junction to Pawayan (see note), a length of 17 miles(27km) opened in 1890. The line was constructed by the Powayan Steam Tramway Company and the maintenance taken over by the Rohilkund and Kumaon Railway(R&KR) in December 1900. The line was extended to reach Mailani, a further 21 miles(34km) in 1904  .
The 1918 Administraion Report records that the ‘Powayan Light Railway’ was being managed and operated by the Rohilkund and Kumaon Railway(R&KR) between Shahjahanpur and Mailani,a length of 38.86 miles (62.2km) 
However the 1918 Administration Report records separately on the Rosa Sugar Factory Tramway from Rosa Town to the Rosa Sugar Factory, a length of 3.25 miles(5.2km) ‘A tramway constructed at the expense of Messrs Carew and Company connects the Rosa Sugar factory with Rosa station on the Oudh and Rohilhand Railway(O&RR). This tramway is 3.25 miles long and is worked by cattle power. It is used for goods traffic only’ . The O&RR had reached Rosa Junction in 1910 thus connecting to the O&RR 'Rosa-Sitapur Branch'
There is un unconfirmed report that the 'Powayan Light Railway' closed in 1918.
Note on spelling
- Pawayan is the spelling given in the Imperial Gazetteer of India  which we take as the definitive spelling of the town.
- 'Powayan Steam Tramway' is the spelling of the Company in all documents and records, which later is recorded as the 'Powayan Light Railway'.
An on-line search of the IOR records relating to this railway  gives 5 references. The most important being:-
- L/F/8/16/1166 “Rohilkund and Kumaon Railway Company Limited, Agreement for capital expenditure on the Powayan Steam Tramway and acquisition of interests in the Powayan Steam Tramway Limited; 1906"
- L/F/8/17/1263 “Powayan Steam Tramway Company Limited, Indenture supplemental to that of 1st July 1901; 1912"
- L/F/8/19/1436 “Rohilkund and Kumaon and Lucknow Bareilly State Railways and Powayan Steam Tramway, Reprint of contracts showing modifications up to and includng the contract of July 3rd 1914; 1917"
- "Administration Report on the Railways in India – corrected up to 31st March 1918"; Superintendent of Government Printing, Calcutta; page 202; Retrieved 26 Jan 2016
- Imperial Gazetteer of India 1908" v. 22, p. 206.; Retrieved 3 Sept 2016
- “Administration Report on Railways 1918” page 202, pdf page 210 Classified under R&KR; Retrieved 3 Sept 2016
- “Administration Report on Railways 1918” page 131, pdf page 139 Classified under O&RR; Retrieved . Sept 2016
- “Imperial Gazetteer of India” v. 20, p. 81.; Retrieved 3 Sept 2016
- “British Library Archives and Manuscripts Catalogue” - Search; Retrieved Jan 2016