Robert Edwin Wright
Robert Edwin Wright (1841-1887)
All the following from the Institution of Civil Engineers 'Obituary’ .
At age of 19 he was articled to Mr James John Berkley, Chief Engineer in India for the Great Indian Peninsula Railway(GIPR), and after working for some time in the London office sent to India
Railway Achievements in India
- 1862, GIPR Assistant Engineer in charge of a section of works on the Bhore Ghat Incline under Mr Tait
- 1863, GIPR, survey work between Hyderabad and Sholapur
- 1864, GIPR, in charge of construction of a section of the GIPR Nagpur Branch Line
- 1867, GIPR, transferred to another section between Kulburga and Raichore and promoted
- 1869, GIPR, compelled by ill health to take leave in England, on return took over in charge of his old section, where he remained until completion of the line.
- 1871, Public Works Department (PWD) - Railway Branch
- 1872, Nizam's State Railway, Assistant Engineer, first grade, promoted to Executive Engineer 4th grade in 1875
- 1877, Indus Valley State Railway, Larkhana Division
- 1878, furlough to UK, on medical grounds, 6 months extended to 1 year
- 1879 January, Holkar & Sindia-Neemuch State Railways, in charge of Indore Division
- 1885 January, Rajputana-Malwa State Railway with the leasing to the Bombay, Baroda and Central India Railway Company his charge was extended to Ajmere, and thus comprised the whole of the Malwa Section.
He was promoted to Executive Engineer, third grade in 1880, second grade in 1885 and first grade in 1887.