53rd Regiment of Foot
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Also known as The Shropshire Regiment
- 1755 raised as 55th Regiment of Foot
- 1757 renamed 53rd Regiment of Foot
- 1881 combined with 85th Regiment of Foot to become The King's Light Infantry (Shropshire Regiment)
- 1921 became The King's Shropshire Light Infantry
- 1968 became the 3rd Battalion of The Light Infantry
Kings Shropshire Light Infantry Collection
- Discovery catalogue entry The entire catalogue of the collection can be viewed online and contains several India related items.
- Shropshire Archives Home of the Kings Shropshire Light Infantry Collection.
- Shropshire Regimental Museum Homepage of the museum containing regimental histories.
Historical books online
- Historical Record of the Fifty - Third, or the Shropshire Regiment of Foot: containing an account of the formation of the regiment in 1755, and of its subsequent services to 1848 by Richard Cannon 1849 Google Books. Indian Service commences page 13 in 1805 in Madras and continues page 27 in 1844 in Calcutta
- The regiment was ordered to the East Indies, 1805 page 251 The Life of Mrs. Sherwood, (chiefly autobiographical) with extracts from Mr. Sherwood’s Journal during his Imprisonment in France & Residence in India. Edited by her daughter Sophia Kelly 1857 Archive.org. Mrs Mary Martha Sherwood, whose husband was an officer in the regiment, wrote children’s books. Mary Martha Sherwood Wikipedia.
- Recollections of a winter campaign in India in 1857-58 by Capt Oliver John Jones, R.N. 1859 Google Books. The author was attached, as a volunteer, to the 53rd Regiment of Foot for five months
- 53rd Regiment of Foot Wikipedia
- King's Shropshire Light Infantry Wikipedia
- 53rd (the Shropshire) Regiment of Foot including deployments Regiments.org, now an archived website
- The King's Shropshire Light Infantry including deployments:1st Battalion, 2nd Battalion Regiments.org, now an archived website
- 53rd Regiment in the Sutlej Campaign discovershropshire.org.uk
- British Puggarees 2, 3, 4 and 6 Folds includes a section on the King’s Shropshire Light Infantry (with photographs) militarysunhelmets.com
- This link from military-bands.co.uk refers to the band of the 53rd Regiment during the Indian Mutiny and subsequently in India in the 1920s.
- The K.S.L.I. and the Hong Kong Plague, 1894. discovershropshire.org.uk. Hong Kong Plague Medal 1894 britisharmedforces.org.
- The Diary of Sergeant Ben Nicholas 1914 to 1917 4th (Service Battalion) Kings Shropshire Light Infantry. "A record of his exploits in India, Burma, Singapore and Malaysia during World War One". Includes the 1915 Singapore Mutiny. html version pdf wulfrunianinlondon.files