Killick, Nixon & Company
Killick, Nixon & Company, set up in 1857, acted as Agents for many enterprises. They were a Managing Agent and general merchant company and active in Bombay from the mid 1860's. Later becoming Agent's in Bombay for Parry & Company .
The Company created the Central Provinces Railway Co Ltd (CPRC) and acted as its Agent. The company built this narrow gauge line in 1903 to carry cotton from Yavatmal to the main line to Mumbai from where it was shipped to Manchester in England.
They also acted as Agents for other Railway related projects as can be seen from the India Office Records see 'Records' below for references to Rajputana-Malwa State Railway and Bombay, Baroda and Central India Railway.
Other Railway Interests
The records show that in 1914 ‘Killick, Nixon & Company’ of Bombay had partners Lowther Robert Windham Frorest, Sir Henry Edward Eddleston Procter, Thomas William Berkett, Walter Henry Ogston and Harold Percival Hebblethwaite. They entered into an Agreement to construct and equip the following two railways .
- Godhra-Lunavada Railway See separate page for more information
- Nadiad-Kapadvanj Railway See separate page for more information
These railways were to be operated by the Guzerat Railway Company - see separate page
- ‘Orenstein & Koppel’ - see separate page.
Agent in Bombay for this light weight German railway builder and supplier by 1906.
- ‘Champaner Manganese Mine’ - see separate page.
Managing Agent from 1905.
- ‘Lakheri Cement Works’ - see separate page
Managing Agent from 1913 .
- ‘Sialkot-Narowal Railway’ - see separate page.
Managing Agent from 1915.
- ‘Sabarmati Thermal Power Station’ – ‘ Ahmedabad Electricity Supply Co’ - see separate page.
Managing Agent from 1915.
- ‘Parry & Company’- see separate page.
Managing Agent from 1916
- L/F/8/14/1008; “Messrs. Killick Nixon and Co., Agreement for the formation of a company for constructing a railway from Ahmedabad to Prantej in connection with the Rajputana Malwa” ; 9 Dec 1896
- L/F/8/14/1010; “Messrs. Killick, Nixon and Company, Agreement for the formation of a company for the construction of a railway from Surat to Nundurbar and on to Amalner, in connection with the Bombay, Baroda and Central Indian Railway Co”; 11 Jun 1896
- L/F/8/16/1098; “Messrs Killick, Nixon & Co, Agreement for the formation of a company for the construction of a railway from Sabarmati to Dholka in connection with the Rajputana-Malwa Railway”; 11 Apr 1901
- Mss Eur D621; “Diaries and scrapbooks of Wilfrid Russell, businessman, Bombay 1935-56” -Contents note “Russell Collection: diaries and scrapbooks of Wilfrid William Russell, businessman in India employed by Killick, Nixon & Co 1935-56....”.
- “Industrial Railways and Locomotives of India and South Asia” compiled by Simon Darvill. Published by ‘The Industrial Railway Society’ 2013. ISBN 978 1 901556 82-7. Available at http://irsshop.co.uk/India. Reference: Entry MH61 page ....
- British Library ‘India Office Records’ F/8/17 (1360) “Nadiad-Kapadvanj and Godhralunavada Railways, Agreement and indenture; 1914
- “British Library Archives and Manuscripts Catalogue” - Search; Retrieved 11 Apr 2016