Robert Richard Gales
Robert Richard Gales Sir (1864-1948).
Trained at Royal Indian Engineering College, Cooper’s Hill, Surrey England
- 1886, posted to State Railways .
- 1887-95, North Western Railway Survey and construction work .
- 1895-1900, North Western Railway Assistant Manager and East Coast State Railway; and Deputy Manager Eastern Bengal State Railway .
- 1896, Promoted Executive Engineer .
- 1901-05, Curzon Bridge, Allahabad Executive Engineer and Engineer-in-Chief, see 'References' 
- 1905-08, Bombay-Sind Connection Railway Survey Engineer-in-Chief; and Nilgiri Mountain Railway Coonoor-Ootacamund extension Engineer-in-Chief .
- 1909-15, Sara Ghat Bridge, Engineer-in-Chief, when completed the bridge was inaugerated as the 'Hardinge Bridge' and formed a vital link in the Eastern Bengal State Railway. This was a major engineering challenge as fully described in the 'The Engineer' of October 1914 
- 1915-17, Railway Board Chief Engineer
- 1917-19, North Western Railway(NWR) Agent.
- 1919-37, Partner in Rendel, Palmer and Tritton, Consulting Engineers, London.
- 1937 Retired
- Google Books " India List and India Office List, 1905" page 499 (pdf page 462) Retrieved on 16 Jul 2016
- Grace's Guide "Who's Who 1922"; Retrieved 16 Jul 2016
- The British Library India Office Records Photograph shelfmark 430/58 "The Curzon Bridge" carries the following description:- The Curzon Bridge over the River Ganges at Allahabad. 15 spans of 200 feet. Started 8th November 1902. Opened for Railway Traffic 15th June 1905. Opened for Road Traffic 20th December 1905'. Above this in the top corner is the note: 'With R.R. Gale's compliments'. Print 1 is a portrait of Gale, the Engineer-in-Chief, and his assistants and the remaining photographs provide a chronological record of the bridge's construction from December 1902 to December 1905.; Retrieved 16 Jul 2016
- The Engineer October 1914, pages 316-318- "Bridge over the Lower Ganges" reproduced by Grace's Guide; Retrieved 16 Jul 2016
- Grace's Guide "Who's Who 1939"; Retrieved 16 Jul 2016