Calcutta Volunteer Regiments
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Circa 1909 the Volunteer Regiments in Calcutta consisted of the
- Calcutta Port Defence Volunteers in five companies, two being naval divisions, one of garrison artillery, one of submarine miners, and one of electrical engineers, with a strength in 1903-4 of 333
- Calcutta Light Horse, in five troops, strength 187 ;
- Cossipore Artillery, with four six-gun batteries, strength 428
- Calcutta Volunteer Rifles, with three battalions (of which the third was a cadet company), and a strength of 2,075, including cadets and reservists;
- Eastern Bengal State Railway Volunteers, strength 728 
During the First World War,
- The Calcutta Scottish was established for service in Calcutta,
- The Calcutta Volunteer Battery, consisting of men from the Calcutta Port Defence Volunteers and the Cossipore Artillery Volunteers served overseas in East Africa and the Middle East.
- The 25th Motor Machine Gun Battery (Calcutta Volunteers) served in Egypt.
- Imperial Gazetteer of India, Volume 9, page 282