Kolar Gold Fields Railway

From FIBIwiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

The Kolar Gold Fields Railway opened in 1894 and constructed by the Princely Mysore State Durbar to provide facilities for the gold-fields. The line was a broad gauge(BG) 10miles (16km) long branch joining the Kolar Gold Fields to Bowringpet, where it connected with the Madras-Bangalore main line. [1] [2]

The line was worked by Madras Railway(MR); which became the Madras and Southern Mahratta Railway(M&SMR) in 1908.

Records

An on-line search of the India Office Records (IOR) records held at the British Library relating to this railway [3] gives the following: -

  • R/2/Box4/35 File 479B 1888 Mysore Govt. cede jurisdiction over the Bangalore - Hindupur & the Bangalore - Harihar railway lines. Question of jurisdiction over the Kolar Gold Fields Railway”; 1893-94
  • L/F/7/1521; Collection 266/9: Madras and Southern Mahratta Railway: Kolar Gold FieldsRailway, continuance of working by the Madras and Southern Mahratta Railway after 31 Dec 1937.; 1938-9

These records have not been examined and may provide further information to add to the above.

Further Information

See Madras Railway up to 1908, then Madras and Southern Mahratta Railway

References