The United Provinces (shortened to UP), was a province in British India that roughly corresponded to the modern day Indian states of Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand. The province was known by the following names:
- United Provinces of Agra and Oudh (1902-1921)
- United Provinces of British India (1921-1937)
- United Provinces (1937-1950)
- Ceded and Conquered Provinces (1805–1834)
- Presidency of Agra (14 November 1834- 1 June 1836)
- North-Western Provinces (1836–1902)
- Chief Commisionership (1856-1877, excluding 18 months under the Nawab during the Indian Mutiny)
- Governed jointly with North-Western Provinces (1877–1902)
The administrative divisions during the British period were:
The administrative districts and their headquarter towns are listed in the article United Provinces Districts.
Historical books online
- "Journey Through the Himma-leh Mountains to the Sources of the River Jumna, and Thence to the Confines of Chinese Tartary: Performed in April-October, 1827" by Captain C. Johnson, Late of the 11th Dragoons. From Journal of the Royal Geographical Society of London, Volume 4, 1834. With Map. Archive.org
- The Himalayan Gazetteer or the Himalayan Districts of the North Western Provinces of India by Edwin T Atkinson in 3 Volumes (6 Parts) is available, in a reprint edition, to read online on the Digital Library of India website. Covers the regions of Kumaon and Garhwal. This area is now the state of Uttarakhand. Volume 1, part 1 Contents computer page 12; Volume 1, part 2 Contents cp 12, Index cp 536; Volume 2, part 1 Contents cp18; Volume 2, part 2 Contents cp 16 Index cp 458, includes History of the British in the area; Volume 3, part 1 Contents cp 10 Place names A-J; Volume 3, part 2 Contents cp 8 Place names K-Z. Pdf downloads: Vol. 1, Part 1 Vol. 1, Part 2 Vol. 2, Part 1, Vol. 2, Part 2, Vol. 3, Part 1, Vol. 3, Part 2. Additional files are available for Volume 3.
- DLI mirror versions on Archive.org for Himalayan Gazetteer
- Imperial Gazetteer of India Provincial Series 1908. Following links are pdf downloads, Digital Library of India, with mirror versions on Archive.org. United Provinces of Agra and Oudh Vol. I, Archive.org - United Provinces of Agra and Oudh Vol. II, Archive.org.
- Jungle Trails in Northern India: Reminiscences of Hunting in India by John Hewett. With 24 plates and a map 1938. Pdf download, Digital Library of India. Archive.org version. Sir John was Governor of United Provinces with many royal friends. Hunting largely between 1907 and 1912, including tiger hunting in the jungles of Tarai, Cooch Behar, the Central Provinces, and up north in Kumaon and Garhwal.
- Industry and Industrial Arts series of Monographs. Pdf downloads, Digital Repository of GIPE Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics [Pune].
- For earlier publications see North-Western Provinces
- Monograph on Stone Carving in the United Provinces by H S Crosthwaite 1906.
- Monograph on Iron and Steel Work in the United Provinces of Agra and Oudh by W E J Dobbs 1908? (catalogued 1898)
- Monograph on the Manufacture of Wire and Tinsel in the United Provinces by C W Gwynne 1910.