14th (King's) Hussars
Also known as 14th Light Dragoons
- 1715 raised as as James Dormer's Regiment of Dragoons and ranked as the 14th Dragoons
- 1751 formally titled the 14th Regiment of Dragoons
- 1776 renamed the 14th Regiment of (Light) Dragoons
- 1798 renamed the 14th (The Duchess of York's Own) Regiment of (Light) Dragoons
- 1830 renamed the 14th (The King's) Regiment of (Light) Dragoons
- 1861 renamed the 14th (King's) Hussars
- 1921 renamed the 14th King's Hussars
- 1921 amalgamated with the 20th Hussars to form the 14th/20th Hussars
- 1992 amalgamated with the The Royal Hussars (Prince of Wales's Own) to become The King's Royal Hussars
Service in British India
- 1841 Bombay
- 1842 Kirkee
- 1845 Agra
- 1846 Umballa
- 1848 2nd Sikh War
- 1857 Persian War
- 1857 Indian Mutiny
- 1876 India
- 1881 Secunderabad
- 1906 Bangalore
- 1911 Mhow
At Kirkee on 1 October 1841, 'the Regiment was augmented further by the transfer from the 4th Regiment of Light Dragoons, under orders to return to England, of 150 volunteers, disposed to extend their Indian service'
- Historical Record of the 14th (Kings's) Hussars 1900-1922 by J. Gilbert Browne and E.J. Bridges published 1932, appears to be available at the British Library but it is catalogued as a second volume to the Historical Record to 1900. UIN: BLL01001095894 . The Regiment was in India at the outbreak of World War 1 in 1914. Also available in a reprint edition.
Historical books online
- Historical record of the Fourteenth, or the King’s Regiment of Light Dragoons by Richard Cannon 1847 Google Books Indian service commenced page 61 in 1841
- "Medico-Historical Abstract of the 1st year's service in the East Indies, of H. M.'s 14th Regiment of Light Dragoons, at Kirkee, under the Bombay Presidency" by J. W. Moffat, Esq., Surgeon H. M.'s 14th Light Dragoons, page 122 Transactions of the Medical and Physical Society of Bombay Volume 5 1842 Google Books
- Historical Record of the 14th (King's) Hussars from A. D. 1715 to A. D. 1900 by Colonel Henry Blackburne Hamilton. 1901 Archive.org
- Scraps from my sabretache, personal adventures while in the 14th (King’s Light) Dragoons by George Carter Stent 1882 Archive.org . The author went to India c 1851 as a reinforcement to join the Regiment, then in India.
- A King's Hussar: Being the Military Memoirs for Twenty-five Years of a Troop-sergeant-major of the 14th (King’s) Hussars by Edwin Mole, (born c 1845) 1897 Archive.org . He embarked for Bombay in 1876
- 14th King's Hussars including deployments to 1922 regiments.org, an archived site.
- 14th/20th King's Hussars including deployments from 1922 regiments.org, an archived site.
- 14th King's Hussars Wikipedia
- 14th/20th King's Hussars Wikipedia
- King's Royal Hussars Wikipedia
- Image: The XIV Light Dragoons charging at the Battle of Ramnuggur Henry Martens, artist 1850. Brown University Library Digital Repository. Part of the 2nd Sikh War.
- "Historical Abstract of the 1st year's service in the East Indies", page 122 Transactions of the Medical and Physical Society of Bombay Volume 5 1842
- Historical Record of the 14th (Kings's) Hussars 1900-1922 naval-military-press.com