66th Regiment of Foot
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Also known as The Royal Berkshire Regiment
- 1758 2nd Battalion the 19th Regiment of Foot formed in 1756 became the 66th Regiment
- 1782 became the 66th (Berkshire) Regiment.
- 1803 2nd Battalion raised. Fought in the Peninsular War
- 1881 under the Cardwell reforms became 2nd Battalion of Princess Charlotte of Wales’s (Berkshire) Regiment
- 1885 became the Princess Charlotte of Wales’s Royal Berkshire Regiment
- 1920 became The Royal Berkshire Regiment (Princess Charlotte of Wales’s)
Service in British India
- 66th (Berkshire) Regiment of Foot Wikipedia
- The Royal Berkshire Regiment Wikipedia
- 66th at Maiwand history.farmersboys.com
- 66th Regiment of Foot including deployments Regiments.org (archived site)
- The Royal Berkshire Regiment (Princess Charlotte of Wales's) including deployments: 1st Battalion, 2nd Battalion Regiments.org (archived site)
- The Wardrobe : The Rifles (Berkshire and Wiltshire) Museum-The Story of the Infantry of Berkshire and Wiltshire. Covers the 49th, 62nd, 66th and 99th Regiments of Foot
- The Last Stand: The Journal of the Maiwand Files Project July 2009. Victorianwars.com, now archived. Originally contained many articles about Maiwand but the only articles which have been archived are
- "An Account Of Maiwand. A Letter written by Lieutenant Manus L. O’Donel 66th (Berkshire) Regiment"
- "It’s A Dogs Life In The Army" by Richard J Stacpoole-Ryding
- "Maiwand Medal News" by Andy Chaloner
- "Book Review"
- 66th Regiment Afghan Campaign War Memorial at Forbury Gardens, Reading , Berkshire by Andy Chaloner. roll-of-honour.com
- Surgeon-Major Alexander Francis Preston: The REAL Dr Watson: The Victorian army medic who was the inspiration for Sherlock's trusty sidekick by Annabel Venning 2 February 2012 dailymail.co.uk. *Photograph , with details from The Wardrobe.
- Article:"The amazing story of Bobbie, the bravest dog of war, as told in a British soldier's diary of a bloody battle in Afghanistan 130 years ago" by Geoffrey Wansell 19 November 2009 www.dailymail.co.uk Describes letters which belonged to Captain John Slade of the Royal Horse Artillery at the Battle of Maiwand
- Bobbie the mascot at Maiwand Wikipedia
- The Delhi Durbar 1911 www.youtube.com. Colour footage of the regimental marchpast at the Delhi Durbar 1911 from 'The British Empire in Colour' series, probably Program 1. The red coated unit marching past at the start is the 2nd Battalion Royal Berkshire Regiment.
- Berkshire Family History Society
Historical books online
- The 66th Berkshire Regiment: A Brief History of its Services at Home and Abroad from 1758 to 1881 by John Percy Groves 1887 Archive.org
- Events of a military life: being recollections after service in the Peninsular war, invasion of France, the East Indies, St. Helena, Canada, and elsewhere Volume I by Walter Henry, Surgeon to the Forces 1843. Google Books. The author leaves for India page 213 in 1815
- Victorian Wars Forum thread dated 17 December 2011, now no longer accessible http://www.victorianwars.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6353#p25763 .