Bangalore Hindupur Railway
Bangalore Hindupur Railway is the original name of this railway.
It is described in later records as the Hindupur-Yesvantpur Railway - see separate page and also as the Hindupur (Yesvantpur-Mysore Frontier) Railway; and the Yesvantpur-Mysore Frontier Railway
The Bangalore Hindupur Railway was a 51 mile(82km) line from Yesvantpur to the Mysore Frontier at Hindupur via Dod-Ballapur, and a section of the metre gauge(MG) Mysore State Railway(MSR). The line was a branch from Yesvantpur , 3 miles (5 km) north-west of Bangalore) on the Bangalore Harihar Railway that had been opened by the MSR in 1884 .
The line opened in 1893 and had 9 stations and was worked by the Southern Mahratta Railway (SMR) .
On 1 July 1893 two sections of the MSR, the Bangalore-Harihar and Bangalore-Hidupur Railways were transferred by the State of Mysore to the Government of India, giving full jurisdiction and operation . The Railway continued to be operated by the SMR.
From 1 Jan 1938, the lines leased to M&SMR, which included the ‘Bangalore Hindupur Section’ reverted to the control of the State of Mysore, creating a homogenous railway of just under 740 miles. In 1950, MSR was nationalised and in 1951 became part of Southern Railway, one of the then newly formed zones of Indian Railways.
- “Administration Report on Railways 1918” page 90 (pdf99); Retrieved 12 Nov 2018
- British Library ‘India Office Records’ IOR/R/2/Box 4/35 “Mysore Govt. cede jurisdiction over the Bangalore - Hindupur & the Bangalore - Harihar railway lines. Question of jurisdiction over the Kolar Gold Fields Railway”; 1893-94