Bangalore Harihar Railway
This section from Bangalore opened in 1884 and completed stages reaching Harihar in 1889 , a distance of 210 miles via Tusar, Gubbi, and Birur with a total of 33 stations . The railway headquarters was at Mysore.
In 1887, in order to eradicate its "famine debt", the State of Mysore leased the MSR to the Southern Mahratta Railway (SMR) for a period of 45 years.
On 1 July 1893 two sections of the MSR, the Bangalore-Harihar and Bangalore-Hidupur Railways were transferred by the State of Mysore to the Government of India, giving full jurisdiction and operation . The Railway continued to be operated by the SMR
In 1907, the SMR merged with Madras Railway(MR) to become the Madras and Southern Mahratta Railway(M&SMR) and they continued to work and manage the railway which later became the M&SMR ‘Mysore Section’ 
From 1 Jan 1938, the lines leased to M&SMR, which included the ‘Bangalore Harihar Section’ reverted to the control of the State of Mysore, creating a homogenous railway of just under 740 miles. In 1950, MSR was nationalised and in 1951 became part of Southern Railway, one of the then newly formed zones of Indian Railways.
- Augustus Le Messurier Col. R.E. from the Public Works Department was the Engineer-in-Chief from 1882 .
- “Administration Report on Railways 1918” page 92 (pdf100); Retrieved 11 Feb 2017
- British LibraryIOR/R/2/Box4/35 File 479B; 1888 “Mysore Govt. cede jurisdiction over the Bangalore - Hindupur & the Bangalore - Harihar railway lines. Question of jurisdiction over the Kolar Gold Fields Railway”; 1893-94
- British Library ‘India Office Records’ IOR/R/2/Box 4/35 “Mysore Govt. cede jurisdiction over the Bangalore - Hindupur & the Bangalore - Harihar railway lines. Question of jurisdiction over the Kolar Gold Fields Railway”; 1893-94
- Google Books " India List and India Office List, 1905" page 546 (pdf page 509 Retrieved on 21 May 2016