Gondal-Porbandar Railway

From FIBIwiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

The Gondal-Porbandar Railway was formed in 1911 as the nucleus of a new metre gauge(MG) system, with the Gondal State Railway(GSR) working jointly with the Porbandar State Railway(PSR) thus forming the Gondal-Porbandar Railway.The first section opened in 1913 and completed to Dhari in 1915, a length of 37 miles(52km). The line was initially worked by the Bhavnagar-Gondal-Junagad-Porbandar Railway(BGJPR). [1]

In 1911 the Jetalsar-Rajkot Railway was brought under the administration of the Gondal-Porbandar Railway following the breakup of the Bhavnagar-Gondal-Junagad-Porbandar Railway(BGJPR) coalition.

In 1919, GSR took over the sole working of the PSR and the name reverted to the Gondal State Railway(GSR)

In 1948, GSR became a part of Saurashtra Railway.

Records

An on-line search of the India Office Records (IOR) records held at the British Library relating to this railway [2] gives several entries, the most relevant as follows: -

  • L/PS/10/257; "File 1073/1912 Railways: Native States; Gondal-Porbandar State Railway"; 1912-1919
  • R/2/635/288; "File 1933 C/589-A Gondal-Porbandar-Grant of running powers to the Porbandar State railway over the Gondal Rly."; 1933

Further Information

See Gondal State Railway

References