North West Frontier Province
Also seen as North-West Frontier Province, Northwest Frontier Province, N W F Province or NWFP.
North West Frontier Province was created out of Punjab in 1901. It was part of the Bengal Presidency and it is now a province of Pakistan. In April 2010, the name of the province was official changed to Khyber-Pakhtoonkhwa by passage of an amendment to the Constitution.
It consisted of five districts.
- Dera Ismail Khan aka D. I. Khan
- Lakki Marwat
The following princely states were located in the region and included into it after Partition.
For images see: Forts of the Frontier
- Online articles on the Province
- NWF Province - British Era Wikipedia
- Rootsweb - North West Frontier Map
- Sketching the Afghan border - The Serving Soldier
Historical books online
- Imperial Gazetteer of India Provincial Series. North - West Frontier Province 1908 Archive.org
- Gazetteer Of The Hazara District 1907. A volume in the series N W F Province Gazetteers. Pdf download, Digital Library of India.
- A Glossary of the Tribes and Castes of Punjab and North-West Frontier Province by H A Rose 1911-1919. Volumes 1 and 3 pdf downloads Pahar-Mountains of Central Asia Digital Dataset. Volume 2 Archive.org.
- The Panjab, North-West Frontier Province and Kashmir by Sir James Douie 1916 Archive.org. A volume in the series Provincial Geographies of India
- N W F Province Gazetteers Peshawar District Vol.a 1931. Pdf download, Digital Library of India.
- An earlier publication: Gazetteer Of The Peshawar District 1897-98. A volume in the series Punjab District Gazetteers. Pdf download, Digital Library of India.
- Report Of The North West Frontier Province Subjects Committee 1931 Archive.org
- A Handbook to the North-West Frontier including Jhelum Rawalpindi and Hazara Districts by Cyril James Davey 1942. Pdf download Pahar-Mountains of Central Asia Digital Dataset.
- The Great Wall of India by Ian Hay [John Hay Beith] 1933. Archive.org. The author visited a friend at Chashmai Fort. This is probably a fictional name. The friend worked for an unnamed Frontier Corps.