Scientific books online
Scientific and Miscellaneous books online
- 1 Miscellaneous titles
- 2 Animals
- 3 Travel
- 4 Journals of the Asiatic Societies and related publications
- 5 Calcutta Journal of Natural History, and Miscellany of the Arts and Sciences in India
- 6 Proceedings of the Indian Science Congress
- 7 Publications of the Indian Museum
- 8 The Agricultural and Horticultural Society of India
- 9 Botany in British India
- 10 The Himalayan Journal
- 11 1911 Encyclopaedia Britannica
- Hindu Manners, Customs and Ceremonies by Abbe J A Dubois, translated by Henry K Beauchamp, 2nd edition 1899. Archive.org. Originally written c 1806, and fully revised by the author 1815. The author was in South India c 1792 to 1823 as a missionary.
- The Child In Ancient India by Kamalabai Deshpande 1936. Archive.org, Digital Library of India Collection. Phd thesis, German University, Prague 1931. Includes a chapter on child marriage.
- On Hygiene in Ancient India by Surgeon General C.A. Gordon c 1900 Wellcome Library Digital Collection, cataloge reference RAMC/56
- The historical relations of ancient Hindu with Greek medicine in connection with the study of modern medical science in India, being a general introductory lecture delivered June 1850 at the Calcutta Medical College by Allan Webb 1850 Google Books
- Commentary on the Hindu System of Medicine by T A Wise, M D Bengal Medical Service. New Issue 1860 (First published 1845) Google Books
- Studies in the Medicine of Ancient India. Part I: Osteology or the Bones of the Human Body by A.F. Rudolf Hoernle 1907 Archive.org. It appears this may have been the only Part published.
- The Surgical Instruments of the Hindus : with a comparative study of the surgical instruments of the Greek, Roman, Arab and the modern European surgeons by Girindranath Mukhopadhyaya. Volume 1, Archive.org version 1913; Volume 2, Archive.org version 1914. Pdf downloads, Digital Library of India.
- History of Indian Medicine. Containing notices, biographical and bibliographical, of the Āyurvedic physicians and their works on medicine by Girindranath Mukhopadhyaya. Volume 1 1922; Volume 2 1922; Volume 3,Archive.org version V3 1929. Pdf downloads, Digital Library of India.
- Ancient Indian Surgery by G D Singhal, 1972. Pdf download, Digital Library of India. Archive.org version. This is probably a volume in a series of nine or ten, covering different aspects of surgery.
- The Practice of Medicine Among the Burmese by Keith Norman MacDonald, late Civil Surgeon of Prome 1879 Archive.org
- India in Greece: Or, Truth in Mythology : Containing the Sources of the Hellenic Race, the Colonization of Egypt and Palestine, the Wars of the Grand Lama, and the Bud'histic Propaganda in Greece by Edward Pococke Second Edition 1856 Google Books
- Alexander's Campaign On The Indian North-West Frontier by Sir Aurel Stein 1927. Pdf download, Digital Library of India. Archive.org version. Originally published with the additional title wording "Notes from Explorations between Upper Swāt and the Indus" in The Geographical Journal Vol. 70, No. 5 (Nov., 1927), pp. 417-440.
- Report of the Midnapore and Burdwan Cyclone of the 15th and 16th of October 1874 by WG Willson 1875 Archive.org
- A practical guide to the climates and weather of India, Ceylon and Burmah and the storms of Indian seas, based chiefly on the publications of the Indian Meteorological Department by Henry F Blanford, late Meteorological Reporter to the Government of India. 1889 Archive.org
- The Industrial Arts of India by George C M Birdwood, Art Referee for the India Section of the South Kensington Museum. 1880 Archive.org. Catalogued 1880 Part I Includes plates at the back of the book, which do not appear to be included in the previous edition.
- Journal of Indian Art. 17 volumes published 1886 -1916, "documenting the rich cultural traditions of colonial-era India" University of Minnesota Libraries, Ames Library of South Asia. Also published under the title Journal of Indian Art and Industry. A quarterly publication.
- Volumes XIII, XIV, catalogued Vol. 11-14 Archive.org. Contains Volume XIII 1910 "Indian Timbers" (April, July, October) together with Volume XIV 1911 "Tile Mosaics of the Lahore Fort", text in four parts. Text quality below average, image quality extremely bad
- Indian Art and Industrie c 1900. No text, images only, high quality digitisation. It is unknown whether these images are associated with the publication Journal of Indian Art and Industry. Sächsische Landesbibliothek – Staats- und Universitätsbibliothek Dresden (SLUB) Dresden.
- Industrial Art and Industry Monograph Series
- Monograph Series, Bengal. Subsequently republished in 1976 as Art in industry through the ages : Monograph series on Bengal Pdf download, Digital Library of India. Archive.org version. This book consists of 11 monographs, listed in this catalogue record nla.gov.au. See Bengal (Presidency) for individual monographs available online.
- Monograph Series, Madras. Republished in 1982 as Art in industry through the ages. Monograph series on Madras Presidency / Southern India, whose contents of 8 monographs may be seen in this catalogue record nla.gov.au. See Madras (Presidency) for individual monographs available online.
- A Monograph On Dyes And Dyeing In The Bombay Presidency by C G H Fawcett. [Sir Charles Gordon Hill Fawcett] 1896. Uniform Title: Miscellaneous Official Publications. Pdf download, Digital Library of India. Archive.org version. Subsequently republished in 1976 as part of Art in industry through the ages : monograph series on Bombay Presidency, with this catalogue record for contents nla.gov.au. See Bombay (Presidency) for individual monographs available online.
- For further Monographs, also see Assam, Burma, North-Western Provinces, Punjab, United Provinces.
- "Khaki" on cotton and other textile material by Dr Friedrich Carl Theis, translated into English by E C Kayser 1903 Archive.org
- An Illustrated Handbook of Indian Arms: Being a Classified and Descriptive Catalogue of the Arms Exhibited at the India Museum; with an Introductory Sketch of the Military History of India by the Hon. Wilbraham Egerton 1880 Archive.org. With plates (filmed plates may be poor quality, or missing). HathiTrust Digital Library version with better images, some in colour.
- The Army of the Indian Moghuls: its organization and administration by William Irvine, late Bengal Civil Service. 1903 Archive.org.
- The Military System Of The Marathas by Surendra Nath Sen 1928 Archive.org version. 2nd edition 1958, Archive.org version. Pdf downloads, Digital Library of India. Full title: Military System of the Marathas. With a brief account of their maritime activities.
- The Military System In Ancient India by Bimal Kanti Majumdar, 1955. Archive.org version; 2nd edition 1960, Archive.org version. Pdf downloads, Digital Library of India.
- Military System Of The Sikhs by B N Majumdar 1965. Pdf download, Digital Library of India. Archive.org version.
- Soldierly Traditions of the Sikhs up to 1849 by Dr. Hari Ram Gupta. The second Macauliffe Memorial Lecture, possibly c 1979. Archive.org
- A Particular Account of the European Adventurers of Hindustan 1784 to 1803 by Herbert Compton (1893) (Benoit De Boigne (French), George Thomas, General Perron (French)) Archive.org
- Hindustan under Free Lances, 1770-1820; sketches of military adventure in Hindustan during the period immediately preceding British occupation by H G Keene 1907 Archive.org.
- European Freebooters In Moghul India by Lester Hutchinson 1964, Pdf download, Digital Library of India. Archive.org version. Full title has the additional wording [With special reference to Walter R. Sombre, George Thomas and Benoît de Boigne]
- The History of Piracy by Philip Gosse 1934, first published 1932. Hathi Trust Digital Library. Contains "Book IV: The Pirates of the East". An earlier book was The Pirates' Who's Who Giving Particulars Of The Lives and Deaths Of The Pirates And Buccaneers by Philip Gosse, first published 1924 Gutenberg.org.
- The Birth Of Indian Psychology And Its Development In Buddhism by Mrs. Rhys Davids 1936. Pdf download, Digital Library of India. Archive.org version.
- Medieval Routes To India: Baghdad To Delhi by HC Verma 1960. Full title: Medieval Routes to India: Baghdad to Delhi. A study of trade and military routes. Pdf download, Digital Library of India. Archive.org version.
- Parsis in India and the Diaspora edited by John R. Hinnells and Alan Williams 2008 Archive.org
- A Guide to the Old Observatories at Delhi, Jaipur, Ujjain, Benares by G.R. Kaye. 1920. Pdf download, Digital Library of India. Archive.org version.
- Journal Of The Indian Society Of Oriental Art Broken range, Vol.2 No.1, 1934 to Volume 18, 1951. Archive.org, many from the Digital Library of India Collection.
- Bibliotheca Indosinica: Dictionnaire bibliographique des ouvrages relatifs à la péninsule indochinoise [Biblioteca Indosinica: Bibliographic dictionary of books on the Indochinese Peninsula] by Henri Cordier 1912 Archive.org Includes English publications.
- Volume I Includes Birmanie [Burma], Assam, Siam and Laos. Volume II Péninsule Malaise [Malayan Peninsula] and Volume III Indochine Francaise same digital file; Volume IV Indochine Francaise continued, Cambodge, Laos, Tchampa [Annam or Cochin-China]. Contents by volume, Index of authors, Alphabetical Index for all volumes.
- Also see
- An Account of Indian Serpents collected on the Coast of Coromandel by Patrick Russell MD, FRS 1796. With Plates, which are at the back of the book. Linda Hall Library Kansas City, USA, LHL Digital Collections. Note: after the Zoom in icon, click on the next icon Full Browser, for ease of reading. The images are stated to be in Tiff format, so if you cannot see the images refer Online books-Digital Library of india for details of Tiff plugins.
- A Continuation of an Account of Indian Serpents by Patrick Russell 1801 Archive.org. With Plates. This volume is Part II, and contains Appendices written in 1804 and 1809.
- An Epitome of the Natural History of the Insects of India, and the Islands in the Indian Seas by Edward Donovan 1800. With Coloured Plates. Archive.org.
- Natural history of the insects of India by E Donovan . A new edition with additional matter by J O Westwood. 1838 edition bodleian.ox.ac.uk Click on the thumbnail icon (top L H corner) to locate the coloured plates. Archive.org 1842. With coloured plates at the back of the book; Archive.org 1842. With coloured plates throughout the book.
- Zoological researches in Java, and the neighbouring islands by Thomas Horfield MD 1824 Archive.org. With coloured plates.
- Images from the book New York Public Library Digital Collection.
- Illustrations of Indian Zoology: chiefly selected from the collection of Major-General Hardwicke ... by John Edward Gray. With coloured plates. Volume I 1830-1832, Volume II 1833-1834. Archive.org.
- Individual Images, Volume I, New York Public Library Digital Collection.
- The Reptiles of British India by Albert C. L. G Gunther 1864. With Plates at the back of the book. Archive.org
- Indian Snakes: An Elementary Treatise on Ophiology with a Descriptive Catalogue of the Snakes Found in India and the Adjoining Countries by Edward Nicholson, Surgeon, Army Medical Department 2nd edition 1874 with Plates Archive.org. (First edition 1870 Google Books)
- The Thanatophidia of India: Being a Description of the Venomous Snakes of the Indian Peninsula, with an Account of the Influence of Their Poison on Life and a Series of Experiments by J Fayrer, Surgeon-Major HM Bengal Army 1872 Archive.org
- The Royal Tiger of Bengal, his Life and Death by J Fayrer MD Bengal Medical Service 1875 Archive.org
- Destruction of Life in India by Wild Animals by J Fayrer Archive.org. From Nature, Jan. 18, 1883.
- The Deadly Wild Beasts of India by J Fayrer 1889 Archive.org.
- The Poisonous Snakes of India : for the use of the officials and others residing in the Indian Empire by Joseph Ewart, Surgeon Major of the Bengal Army 1878 Archive.org. With coloured Plates.
- Indian Snake Poisons, their Nature and Effects by A J Wall, MD, of the Medical Staff, HM’s Indian Army. 1883 Archive.org
- The common snakes of India and Burma and how to recognize them by W H Cazaly, Major, IMS. 1914 Archive.org
- The Highlands of Central India : notes on their forests and wild tribes, natural history, and sports by Captain J Forsyth, Bengal Staff Corps. First published 1871, when the author was formerly Assistant Conservator of Forests, Central India. 1871 edition, 1889 edition, 1919 edition Archive.org
- "Selection and Treatment of Elephants" page 365, 1919 edition
- The Tribes on my Frontier: an Indian Naturalist's Foreign Policy by E H Aitken (E H A) 6th edition 1904 (First published 1883) Archive.org.
- The Common Birds of Bombay by EHA [Edward Hamilton Aitken] c 1900. First published in the Times of India.
- The Common Birds of India by EHA 3rd edition, 1947. An edited version by Salim Ali of The Common Birds of Bombay
- Concerning Animals and Other Matters by E H Aitken (EHA) 1914. Archive.org.
- Biography of EHA page xi
- Natural History of the Mammalia of India and Ceylon by Robert A Sterndale, with 170 Illustrations by the author. 1884. Archive.org
- Sterndale’s Mammalia of India: A New and Abridged edition by Frank Finn 1929 Archive.org
- Seonee; or, Camp life on the Satpura Range; a Tale of Indian Adventure by Robert Armitage Sterndale, 2nd Edition 1877 (First published 1877?) Archive.org. With illustrations by the author. Central Provinces of India. Set in fictional form (for juveniles), but based on actual experiences.
- Two Years in the Jungle : the Experiences of a Hunter and Naturalist in India, Ceylon, the Malay Peninsula and Borneo by William T Hornaday, Chief Taxidermist, US National Museum 1885 Archive.org
- The Fauna of British India Multiple volumes on different fauna from c 1889. Archive.org. In addition there are volumes which have not been catalogued under this title, such as Arachnida by R I Pocock 1900 Archive.org
- The Great and Small Game of India, Burma, & Tibet by R Lydekker 1900 Archive.org
- "Trapping Wild Elephants in Travancore" by Mrs O H Benley, of Trevandrum, Travancore, page 278 The World Wide Magazine Vol XX, no 117 January 1908. Archive.org.
- Forest Life and Sport in India by S Eardley-Wilmot, Late Inspector General of Forests to the Government of India 1910. Archive.org. He joined the Forest Service in 1873
- Memoirs Of A Camp- Follower by Philip Gosse. 1934. Some later editions were titled Memoirs of a Camp-Follower : a Naturalist Goes to War or A Naturalist Goes to War. The author was a doctor RAMC, who has served on the Western Front 1915-1917, including his appointment as Rat Officer to the Second Army, and was then posted to India. Archive.org. Digital Library of India Collection.
- "A Little Elephant" by H Warington Smyth page 234 Blackwood’s Magazine, no 211 January-June 1922 Archive.org. The Siamese training of an elephant in the wild.
- Wild Animals In Central India by A A Dunbar Brander 1923. Pdf download, Digital Library of India. Archive.org version. The author was a Conservator of Forests in the Central Provinces.
- With A Camera In Tiger Land by F W Champion 1928 (first published 1927) Archive.org. The author was in the Imperial Forest Service of India, a keen naturalist and photographer.
- The Jungle In Sunlight And Shadow by FW Champion 1934. Pdf download, Digital Library of India. Archive.org version.
- The Elephant Lore of the Hindus Translated from the original Sanskrit by Franklin Edgerton 1931 Archive.org.
- Forest Life In India by James W Best 1934 Pdf download, Digital Library of India. Archive.org version. The author was a forest officer in central India for 19 years
- One Man And A Thousand Tigers by Colonel Kesri Singh 1959 Archive.org. The author was Conservator of Forests for the Maharajah of Jaipur.
- The Deer And The Tiger: A Study Of Wildlife In India by George B Schaller 1967 Pdf download, Digital Library of India. Archive.org version.
- Investigations into Rats for plague research
- "Preliminary Notes on the Rats of Calcutta" by WC Hossack, MD, District Medical Officer , Calcutta page 183 NS Vol II, No 5 1906 Journal & Proceedings of the Asiatic Society of Bengal, published 1907
- Aids to the identification of rats connected with plague in India : with suggestions as to the collection of specimens by WC Hossack, MD, Plague Department , Calcutta. Published by the Indian Museum 2nd Edition 1907. Archive.org
- "An Account of the Rats of Calcutta" (text) and Plates by WC Hossack MD Memoirs of the Indian Museum, Volume I, July 1907 Archive.org
- "The Races of Indian Rats. An Enquiry Supplementary to the Investigation of Plague" by R E Lloyd, Capt. I M S page 1, Records of the Indian Museum, Volume III, 1909 Archive.org
- The Game Birds of India, Burmah, and Ceylon by Hume and Marshall 1879. With coloured plates. Archive.org.Volume I, Volume II. Volume III
- Game, Shore and Water Birds of India by Colonel A Le Messurier R E . With illustrations. 3rd edition 1888 (first edition c 1874) Archive.org
- A Manual of the Game Birds of India by Eugene W Oates Part I – Land Birds 1898; Part II - Water Birds 1899. Archive.org
- The Indian Ducks and their Allies by E C Stuart Baler. With Coloured Plates 1908 Archive.org.
- The Game Birds of India and Asia by Frank Finn, late Deputy Superintendent Indian Museum. 1911 Archive.org.
- The Ducks Of India: Their Habits, Breeding Grounds And Migrations; Together With Other Useful Information for the Sportsman and Observer by R G Wright and Douglas Dewar 1925 Archive.org, Digital Library of India Collection. Poor quality images, lacking the original coloured plates.
The Asiatic Society of Bengal issued many differently named publications including Asiatick Researches from 1788 to Volume XX 1839, Journal of the Asiatic Society of Bengal, published from 1832 to Volume 73, 1904, Proceedings of the Asiatic Society of Bengal published separately from 1865 to 1904, Journal and Proceedings of the Asiatic Society of Bengal new series, v. 1-30, 1905-1934. Superseded by the society's Journal 3rd ser. (called 1935-39, Journal and proceedings 3rd ser.), Memoirs of the Asiatic Society of Bengal Issued by: 1905-1935, Asiatic Society of Bengal; 1938-40, Royal Asiatic Society of Bengal. Irregular publications to 1949
- Asiatick Researches, Or, Transactions of the Society Instituted in Bengal, for Inquiring Into the History and Antiquities, the Arts, Sciences, and Literature of Asia. Multiple volumes 1788-1839 Hathi Trust Digital Library
Gleanings in Science
Published in Calcutta. In 1832 the publication was merged with/became Journal of the Asiatic Society of Bengal. Google Books
|Volume 1 1829 Contents||Volume 2 1830 Contents||Volume 3 1831 Contents|
Journal of the Asiatic Society of Bengal
- Journal of the Asiatic Society of Bengal from Volume 1 1832. Hathi Trust Multiple volumes: A, B and C. Editions are also available on Google Books including Index to Journal of the Asiatic Society of Bengal, Volumes 1-23 1856. The latter publication also contains Index to Vols XIX and XX of Asiatic Researches
- Proceedings of the Asiatic Society of Bengal from 1868 (published from 1865).Hathi Trust
- Memoirs of the Asiatic Society of Bengal Volumes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7 biodiversitylibrary.org. Publications to 1949 are available on the subscription website South Asia Archive
- A number of Journals, Proceedings and Memoirs are available on Archive.org including Centenary Review of the Asiatic Society of Bengal from 1784-1883 published 1885
Transactions of the Bombay Geographical Society
The Society continued until 1873 when it amalgamated with the Bombay Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society. Mainly Google Books Volume 19 Archive.org
Journal of the Asiatic Society of Bombay
- Journal of the Asiatic Society of Bombay. Multiple volumes from 1841. Hathi Trust Digital Library
- Journal of the Ceylon Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society from Volume 1 1845. See Ceylon
- The Journal of the Indian Archipelago and Eastern Asia. Published at Singapore Volumes 1-9 1847-1855; New Series Volumes 1-4 1856-59/63. See Singapore
- Journal of the Straits Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society 1878-1922. See Singapore
- Journal of the North China Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society from c late 1850s. See China
- Transactions of the Royal Asiatic Society of Great Britain and Ireland Volumes I-III 1827-1834. Archive.org, HathiTrust Digital Library
- Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society of Great Britain & Ireland from 1834. Multiple volumes: HathiTrust A, B. Archive.org
- PAHAR Mountains of Central Asia Dataset, category Journals, under the heading Royal Central Asian Society Journal 1904-1962 contains the links for pdf downloads for Proceedings of the Central Asian Society 1904-1911 and Journal of the Central Asian Society from Volume 1, 1914 to Volume 49, 1962. Alternatively use the Search to locate volumes.
- A broken range of volumes of the Journal from 1914 to 1937, Volume 24 are also available as pdf downloads, Digital Library of India. Mirror versions are also available on Archive.org.
- The Indian Antiquary Multiple volumes from Volume I 1872 to Volume LX, 1931. Later reprints include Volume II 1873. Volume XXI has title The Indian Antiquary; A journal of oriental research in archaeology, epigraphy, ethnology, geography, history, folklore, languages, literature, numismatics, philosophy, religion, etc. Archive.org, many from the Digital Library of India Collection.
- Multiple editions of Journal of the Siam Society from volume II 1905 to vol XXXI, 1939 (broken range), also vol XLVI, Parts 1-2 June-Nov 1958. Archive.org.
- Index Volume I to XXV Journal of the Siam Society 1935 Archive.org
- Also available online, where articles may be downloaded, from The Siam Society website. A complete series, currently to 2016. (Journals are placed online three years after being published).
- The following Geographical Journals are available on the website JSTOR, subdivided into individual articles. You can register and read articles for free (limits apply), see Miscellaneous tips.
- The Journal of the Royal Geographical Society of London 1831-1880 (Vol. 1 - Vol. 50); Proceedings of the Royal Geographical Society of London 1857-1877 (Vol. 2, No. 1 - Vol. 22, No. 6); Proceedings of the Royal Geographical Society and Monthly Record of Geography 1879-1892 (Vol. 1, No. 1 - Vol. 14, No. 12); The Geographical Journal from Volume 1, 1893. Useful for locating individual articles if you have previously found a reference.
Calcutta Journal of Natural History, and Miscellany of the Arts and Sciences in India
Google Books and Archive.org
|Volume 1 1841||Volume 2 1842||Volume 3 1843||Volume 4 1844||Volume 5 1845|
|Volume 6 1846||Volume 7 1847||General Index Volumes 1-7||Volume 8 1847-48||Alternative files Archive.org
Proceedings of the Indian Science Congress
- ''Proceedings of the Twenty-Fifth Indian Science Congress 1938. This was the Silver Jubilee meeting.
- Proceedings Of The Indian Science Congress Broken range of editions from Eleventh Congress 1924 to after 1950. Pdf downloads, Digital Library of India. Mirror versions are also available on Archive.org.
Publications of the Indian Museum
- Memoirs of the Indian Museum First published 1907, volumes to Vol VII, 1918-1922 Archive.org. The later editions are edited by the Director of the Zoological Survey of India (ZSI) which was established 1 July 1916
- Records of the Indian Museum (A Journal of Indian Zoology). Many editions from Volume I 1907. Archive.org. biodiversitylibrary editions. (may be same digital files)
The Agricultural and Horticultural Society of India
- Transactions of the Agricultural and Horticultural Society of India Google Books
|Volume 1 repr. 1838-Contents||Volume 2 repr. 1938-Contents||Volume 3 repr? 1839-Contents||Volume 4 1837-Contents||Volume 5 1838-Contents|
|Volume 6 1939-Contents||Volume 7 1840-Contents||Volume 8 1841-Contents||Index to the Transactions Volumes 1-8 1857|
- Proceedings of the Agricultural & Horticultural Society of India Google Books
- Journal of the Agricultural & Horticultural Society of India Google Books and Archive.org
|Volume 1 1842-Contents||Volume 3 1844-Contents Part I-Contents Part II||Volume 4 1845-Contents Part I-Contents Part II||Volume 6 1848-Contents Part I-Contents Part II||Volume IX, Part I with|
* Located at the back of the book A residence among the Chinese inland, on the coast, and at sea. Being a narrative of scenes and adventures during a third visit to China, from 1853 to 1856 by Robert Fortune 1857 Archive.org. The author was a plant collector and this book includes information about plant species
Other books relating to Agriculture
- Also see
- The India officer's and trader's pocket-guide. In purchasing the drugs and spices of Asia and the East-Indies: With practical directions for the choice of diamonds, and an accurate account of the Chinese touch-needles [by W. Lewis] ... To which are prefixed, a complete account of the officers privilege ... and the duties of, and drawbacks on, East India goods. Compiled from Authority by H D S. 2nd edition 1789 Archive.org. Includes a description of some products such as spices.
- "Indian Dyes and Dyeing Industry during 18th-19th Century" by H C Bhardwaj and Kamal K Jain Indian Journal of History of Science 17(1) 1982 pages 70-81. Prior to the introduction of synthetic dyes, most of the dyes were vegetable dyes.
- India in 1887 as seen by Robert Wallace, Professor of Agriculture and Rural Economy 1888 Archive.org
- A Dictionary of the Economic Products of India by George Watt There were ten volumes in total, including an Index volume Volume I, Abaca to Buxus 1885; Volume VI, Part II Sabadilla to Silica 1893; Volume VI, Part III Silk to Tea 1893 Archive.org
- All the remaining volumes are available to read online on the Digital Library of India website. (Vol- II Cabbage to Cyperus: Link to pdf download ; Vol- III Dacrydium to Gordonia: Link to pdf download ; Vol-IV (Gossypium to Lonociera): Link to pdf download ; Vol-V (Linum to Oyster): Link to pdf download ; Vol-Vi Part-I (Pachyrhizus to Rye): Link to pdf download ; Vol-VI Part-IV (Tectona to Zygophillum) Link to pdf download, with mirror editions available on Archive.org together with an Index volume: Link to pdf download, DLI, Archive.org version. Restricted viewing, probably accessible to those in North America, and some other countries: Hathi Trust Digital Library ten volumes
- The commercial products of India : being an abridgment of The dictionary of the economic products of India by Sir George Watt 1908 Archive.org Index
- Supplement (No.I) to the Eight Report from the Select Committee on Sugar and Coffee Planting British Parliamentary Papers. Reports 1847-8. Seventeenth Volume –Part IV. Also called Volume 23, Part 4. Index. Google Books. Includes Sugar Planting in the East Indies, including Straits of Malacca and Coffee Planting in Ceylon
- The Practical Sugar Planter: A Complete Account of the Cultivation and Manufacture of Sugar-Cane….in the East and West Indies and the Straits of Malacca… by Leonard Wray 1848 Archive.org
- "India" page 850 Sugar: a handbook for planters and refiners, being a comprehensive treatise on the culture of sugar-yielding plants, and the manufacture, refining, and analysis of cane…and a chapter on the distillation of rum by John A Newlands, and Benjamin E. R Newlands, 1909 Archive.org
- Memoirs of the Department of Agriculture in India The Date Sugar Industry in Bengal : an investigation into its chemistry and agriculture 1913 Archive.org [Wild Date Palm or Palm Sugar]
- The Cultivation Of Lac In The Plains Of India by C S Misra 1912 Archive.org A publication of the Agriculture Research Institute, Pusa. Archive.org, Digital Library of India Collection.
- A History of Agriculture in India Volume III, 1757-1947 by M S Randhawa 1983 Archive.org
Botany in British India
- The British Library digitised manuscripts include India Office Records relating to "Botany in British India". A search using the key word India will locate the documents.
- Flora Indica; Or, Descriptions of Indian Plants by William Roxburgh 1832 edition Google Books. Volume I, Volume II, Volume III
- Indian Hand-book of Gardening; Containing Directions for the Management of the Kitchen and Flower Garden etc in India. To which is added, an Hindoostanee and English Vocabulary of horticultural and agricultural terms by G Y Frederic Speede 1840 Google Books Vocabulary, following page 284.
- A Manual of Gardening for Western India by R Riddell 2nd edition revised.1848. Google Books
- A Manual of Gardening for Western and Southern India by Robert Riddell 2nd Edition 1856 Google Books
- Indian gardening; a manual of flowers, fruits, and vegetables, soils and manures, and gardening operations of every kind in Bengal, the upper provinces, & the hill stations of India by Lieutenant Fred. Pogson 1872. Volume I Flower and Fruit Garden, Volume II the Kitchen Garden (in one volume) Hathi Trust Digital Library
- The Useful Plants of India: With Notices of Their Chief Value in Commerce. Medicine and the Arts by Colonel Heber Drury 2nd edition with additions and corrections 1873 Archive.org
- A Bibliography of the Botany of British India and Ceylon by E Blatter, S J 1911 Archive.org . Includes references to various plantation crops such as page xcv
- Colloquies on the Simples & Drugs of India by Garcia da Orta. First published in 1563 in Goa, in Portuguese, the third ever book printed in India. 1903 translation by Sir Clements Markham from an 1895 new edition of the original. Archive.org.
- Tractado de las drogas, y medicinas de las Indias Orientales by Cristóbal Acosta with illustrations 1578. Google Books. In Spanish. A translation is being undertaken at NSBS Bangalore, as detailed here.
- A catalogue of Indian medicinal plants and drugs : with their names in the Hindustani and Sanscrit languages by John Fleming, Surgeon of the Bengal Establishment 1810 Archive.org
- The Bengal Dispensatory: Chiefly Compiled from the Works of Roxburgh, Wallich... etc...including the results of numerous special experiments by W. B. O'Shaughnessy, M D. “Published by order of Government” Calcutta 1842. Google Books,
- Catalogue of the vegetable production of the Presidency of Bombay: including a list of the drugs sold in bazars of western India by George C. M. Birdwood 1865 Archive.org
- The Indigenous Drugs of India, or, Short descriptive notices of the principal medicines, both vegetable and mineral, in common use among the natives of India by Kanny Loll Dey 1867 Archive.org. See Second Edition, revised and entirely rewritten 1896, below.
- Pharmacopoeia of India. Prepared under the Authority of Her Majesty's Secretary of State for India in Council by Edward John Waring, assisted by a Committee appointed for the purpose 1868, Supplement to the Pharmacopoeia of India with explanatory and descriptive remarks in fourteen languages by Moodeen Sheriff 1869 Google Books
- The Materia Medica of the Hindus by Uday Chand Dutt, late Civil Medical Officer, Serampore ; with a glossary of Indian plants by George King, Superintendent, Royal Botanical Gardens, Calcutta. Revised edition 1922 (First published 1870, some sources give 1877) Archive.org
- Pharmacographia : A history of the principal drugs of vegetable origin, met with in Great Britain and British India by Friedrich A. Flückiger and Daniel Hanbury 1874, 2nd edition 1879 Archive.org
- Remarks on the uses of some of the bazaar medicines and common medical plants of India, 2nd edition 1874 by Edward John Waring MD 3rd edition 1875, 4th edition 1883, (1860 edition in English and Tamil) Archive.org
- Catalogue of the Bombay drugs including a list of the medicinal plants of Bombay used in the fresh state by Sakharam Arjun, Assistant Surgeon 1879 Archive.org
- Pharmacographia indica: a history of the principal drugs of vegetable origin met with in British India by William Dymock, C J H Warden, and David Hooper 1890-1893 Archive.org Volume I, Volume II, Volume III, Index and Appendix
- Indigenous Drugs of India by Kanny Lal Dey, assisted by William Mair. Second Edition, revised and entirely rewritten 1896 Archive.org. See first edition 1867 above.
- Indian and Colonial Addendum to the British Pharmacopoeia 1898 1900 Archive.org
- Notes on the therapeutics of indigenous vegetable drugs by Lakshman B Dhargalker 1899 Archive.org
- Indian Plants and Drugs with their Medical Properties and Uses by K.M Nadkarni 1910 Is available to read online at Kerala State Central Library Rare Books Online. Catalogue no. 9113
- Indian Medicinal Plants by Kanhoba Ranchoddas Kirtikar and Baman Das Basu 1918 Archive.org. Two volumes of text and five volumes of plates. Volume 1 Text, Volume 2 Text, Volume 1 Plates 1-200, Volume 2 Plates 201-400, Volume 3 Plates 401-600, Volume 4 Plates 601-800, Volume 5 Plates 801-1033
- The Indian Materia Medica by K M Nadkarni 1926. Pdf download, Digital Library of India. Archive.org mirror version. Hindu medicine based on fresh vegetable drugs. 1928 Review of the book JAMA. 1954 edition revised by A K Nadkarni. Pdf download, KrishiKosh: Indian Agricultural Research Institute.
- Indigenous Drugs Of India Their Medical And Economic Aspects by R N Chopra [Ram Nath] 1933. Pdf download, KrishiKosh: Indian Agricultural Research Institute.
- Indian Council Of Medical Research Special Report Series No. 30 A Review of Work on Indian Medicinal Plants by R N Chopra and I C Chopra 1955 Archive.org. Note: Catalogued as Indian Council Of Medical Research
The Himalayan Journal
- The Himalayan Journal, Journal of the Himalayan Club is available online from Volume No 1, 1929 and is searchable.
1911 Encyclopaedia Britannica
- Links to all the editions of the 1911 Encyclopaedia Britannica available on Archive.org may be accessed though a webpage from lexilogos.com. Index volume (Volume 29) Archive.org. All 28 volumes of text have the same format URL commencing with Volume 1 https://archive.org/details/encyclopaediabri01chisrich The Encyclopaedia contains entries about many locations in India. There is a community project to update articles in this edition of the Encyclopaedia and this is online at Online Encyclopaedia