Kolar District Railway
The first section from Bowringpet to Kolar was originally the Bowringpet-Kolar Railway, 10½ miles(17km), when it opened in Dec 1913, constructed by the Mysore Durbar. It was financed entirely by the District Board of Kolar from the proceeds of a debenture loan .
As the District Board were unable to raise the entire capital for the whole of the line from Bowringpet to Chik-Ballapur, the cost was bourne in equal proportions both by the Mysore Durbar and the Kolar District Board - see separate page.The 52 mile(84km) extension from Kolar via Chistamani to Chik-Ballapur opened in 1916, giving a total line of 63½ miles(101km).
Meanwhile the Mysore Durbar were financing and constructing further 2ft 6in/762mm narrow gauge extensions:-
- Bangalore - Chik-Ballapur Light Railway later known as the Chikballapur-Bangalore City Railway - see separate page
- “Administration Report on Railways 1918” page 233 (pdf 242); Retrieved 15 Nov 2018