East Indian Railway - Lines owned and worked

From FIBIwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

East Indian Railway - Lines owned and worked

- a sub-section of the East Indian Railway(EIR) page

The East Indian Railway(EIR) owned and operated an extensive network of railways of broad gauge(BG);, in 1905 the route mileage was 1962 miles(3157km) and by 1918 was 2775 miles( 4465km)

The EIR also managed, worked and maintained a number of lines on behalf of other parties.

The listings below are generally based on the “Administration Report on Railways 1918” [1] with page numbers (and pdf pages) noted at the end of each entry.

BG Lines - owned and worked by EIR

1918 Total - 2464 miles(3965km). Page 53 (pdf 62)

  • Howrah-Delhi EIR Main Line; first section Howrah to Hooghly, 24 miles(38km,) opened 1854; via Khana Junction-Bhagalpur-Jamalpur-Luckeesera-Mogul Sarai to Allahabad, 1865; reaching Delhi on 1 Jan 1867. 1021 miles(1643km). Page 53 (pdf 62)
    • First Chord EIR Line ; Khana Junction-Sitarampur, opened in stages from 1855-63; reaching Luckeeserai 1871. 183 miles(294km. Page 53 (pdf 62). Initially called the Chord Line but then re-designated as the Main Line.
    • Sahibganj Loop EIR Line; Khana Junction-Bhagalpur-Jamalpur-Luckeeserai section of the Main Line 250 miles(402km) became secondary with the opening of the First Chord, reducing Howrah-Delhi to 943 miles (1517km). Page 53 (pdf 62)
    • Bhagalpur Badli Railway, a branch railway from Bhagalpur to Mandar Hill; under construction 1907 for EIR as a branch of the Sahibganj Loop EIR Line; dismantled in 1917-18 for reasons unknown.
  • Grand Chord EIR Line; Sitarampur-Gaya-Mogul Sarai, first section to Barakar , 1865; Gaya 1906; Mogul Sarai 1909. 278 miles(447km). Page 54 (pdf 63)
  • Howrah-Burdwan Chord Line ; 6 miles from Howrah to Saktighar, 1917; 45 miles(72km). Page 54 (pdf 63)


  • Branches from the Howrah-Delhi EIR Main Line :-
    • Tarkessur Branch Line; Sheoraphuli-Tarkessur section opened, 1885, constructed by the Tarkessur Railway Company and worked by EIR, incorporated into EIR 1915 becoming the ‘Tarkessur Branch Line’; 22 miles(35km). Page 54 (pdf 63)
    • Bhadreswar Branch Line ; Bhadreswar to River Bank, 1882; 2.6 miles(4.2km). Page 54 (pdf 63)
    • Naihati Branch Line ; Bandel to Naihati, 1887; 4.5 miles(7.2km]. Page 54 (pdf 63)
    • Bandel-Barharwa Branch Line ; Bandel to Barharwa, 1911-13; 166 miles(267km). Page 54 (pdf 63)
    • Ondal-Sainthia Chord Line ; Ondal to Sainthia, 1906; 43 miles(69km). Page 54 (pdf 63)
    • Ondal Loop Line ; Ondal -Baboissola section opened 1864, constructed by the Tarkessur Railway Company and worked by EIR, incorporated into EIR 1915 as part of the ‘Ondal Loop Line’ ; Baboissola to Toposi, 1863; Toposi via Ikrah to Rupnarainpur , 1894-5; total 32 miles(51km). Page 54 (pdf 63)
    • Toposi-Barabani Chord ; Toposi to Barabani, 1908 and 1915; total 6.5 miles(10.4km). Page 54 (pdf 63)
    • Ikrah Branch Line ; Ikrah to Barabani, 1894; Barabani to Sitarampur; total 15 miles(24km). Page 54 (pdf 63)
    • Salanpur Branch Line ; Salanpur to Shamdi, 1894-7; 5.5 miles(8.8km). Page 54 (pdf 63)
    • Giridih Branch Line ; Madhupar to Giridih, 1871; 27 miles(43km). Page 54 (pdf 63)
    • Deoghur Branch Line ; Jasidih to Baidyanathdham, opened 1882 as the metre gauge (MG) MG Deoghur Railway, originally owned and worked by Burn & Co Ltd until merged in EIR, 1911; converted to BG 1913; 4.1 miles(6.6km). Page 54 (pdf 63)
    • Mokameh Ghat Branch Line ; Tal Junction to Mokameh, 1883; 3miles(4.8km). Page 54 (pdf 63)
    • Patna Ghat Branch; Patna to Patna Ghat, 1862; 0.9 miles(1.4km). Page 54 (pdf 63)
    • Patna-Gaya Branch Line ; Bankipore to Gaya(Gya) opened 1879; constructed and worked by State and named Patna & Gaya State Railway; worked by EIR from 1883 and transferred to EIR 1892; 58 miles(93km). Page 54 (pdf 63)
    • Digha Ghat Branch ; Bankipore to Digha Ghat, 1885; 5.5 miles(8.8km). Page 54 (pdf 63)
    • Tari Ghat Branch Line; Dildarnager to Tari Ghat, opened 1880 as the Dildarnagar-Ghazipur State Railway; worked by EIR; transferred to EIR 1892 becoming the EIR ‘Tari Ghat Branch Line’; 12 miles(19km). Page 54 (pdf 63)
    • Benares Chord Line ; to Bechupur, connecting to the Oudh and Rohilkhand Railway, 1910; 1.2 miles(1.9km). Page 54 (pdf 63)
    • Jubbulpore Branch Line; Naini Junction via Manikpur, Jukehi and Katni to Jubbulpore; 1867; 224 miles(360km). Page 54 (pdf 63)
    • Allahabad Fort Branch Line ; Allahabad Fort, 1859; 2.3 miles(3.7km), Page 55 (pdf64); extension to Daraganj sanctioned 1914, 1.9 miles(3km), Page 56(pdf65)
    • Cawnpore City Branch Line ; Cawnpore, 1879; 0.9 miles(1.4km). Page 55 (pdf64)
    • Shikohabad-Farukhabad Branch Line ; Shikohabad to Farukhabad, 1905-6; 66 miles(106km). Page 55 (pdf64)
    • Agra Branch Line ; Tundla to Jumna Bridge, 1862; Jumna Bridge to Agra City, 1907; total 15 miles(24km). Page 55 (pdf64)
    • Hathras Branch Line ; Hathras Junction to Hathras Kilah, 1898; 5.6 miles(9km). Page 55 (pdf64)
  • Branches from the First Chord EIR Line  :-
    • Azimganj Branch Line; opened in 1863 as the Nalhati-Azimganj Railway, a 4ft(1222mm) unique rail gauge line from Nalhati to Azimganj, constructed and worked by the Indian Branch Railway. Lline taken over by the Government 1872 and re-named Nalhati State Railway; converted to BG in 1892 and becoming the EIR ‘Azimganj Branch Line’ ; 27 miles(43km). Page 55 (pdf64)
    • Rajmehal Branch Line; Tinpahar Junction to Rajmehal, 1860; 7 miles(11km). Page 55 (pdf64)
    • Sakrigali Branch Line; Sakriali to River Ganges, 1894, 1.3 miles(2.0km). Page 55 (pdf64)
    • Mirza Chowki Branch Line; Mirza Chowki to river side, 1909, 0.2 miles(0.3km). Page 55 (pdf64)
    • Sultangunge Ghat Branch Line; Sultangunge Junction to Sultangunge Ghat, 1895 1.2 miles(1.9km). Page 55 (pdf64)
    • Monghyr Branch Line; Jamalpur Junction to Monghyr, 1862; 5.7 miles(9.1km)
  • Branches from the Grand Chord EIR Line :-
    • Chunch Branch Line ; Chunch to Grand Chord Line, 1893-6; 3.9 miles(6.2km). Page 55 (pdf64)
    • Pandra Branch Line ; Pandra to Grand Chord Line, 1900; 2.7 miles(4.3km). Page 55 (pdf64)
    • Pradhankhunta-Pathardihi Chord Line ; Pradhankhunta to Pathardihi, 1913; 9.6 miles(15.4km). Page 55 (pdf64)
    • Katras Branch Line ; Dhanbaid to Katrasgarh, 1894; 9.1 miles(14.6km). Page 55 (pdf64)
    • Katras-Khanoodih Extension Line; Katrasgarh to Khanoodih, 1903; 7.2 miles(11.5km). Page 55 (pdf64)
    • Jamuniatand Link Line; Khanoodih to Bokharo Colliery Railway joint line, 1916; 2 miles(3.2km)
    • Damudu Branch Line; Kasunda to Pathardihi, 1895-6; 9.8 miles(15.7km). Page 55 (pdf64)
    • Jharia Branch Line; Dhanbaid to Jharia, 1903; 3.8 miles(6km). Page 55 (pdf64)
    • Kasunda-Tetulmari Link Line; Kasunda to Tetulmari, 1906-7; 3.2 miles(5.1km). Page 55 (pdf64)
    • Katras-Mulkera Cross Connection Line; Northern half of connection, 1903, 0.7 miles(1.1km). Page 55 (pdf64)
    • Barun-Daltonganj Branch Line; Sone River East Bank, Barun to Daltonganj, 1902; 78 miles(125km). Page 55 (pdf64)
  • BG Lines under Construction or Sanctioned for Construction in 1918
    • Toposi-Baraboni Chord Line; Toposi to Baraboni, sanctioned 1913; 3.7 miles(5.9km). Page 56 (pdf65)
    • Dhanbad-Katrasgarh Line; Dhanbad to Katrasgarh and beyond, sanctioned 1918; 2.4 miles(3.8km). Page 56 (pdf65)

BG Lines absorbed into EIR

BG Lines worked by EIR at some time

BG Lines – EIR network expansion lines

References

  1. “Administration Report on Railways 1918” pages 53-56 (pdf 62-65; Retrieved 4 Nov 2016