|Constituent companies / lines|
|1880||Bhavnagar State Railway|
|1888||Junagadh State Railway|
|1888||Porbandar State Railway|
|Major Stations||Bhavnagar, Dhola, Jetalsar, Porbandar, Rajkot, Veraval, Wadhwan|
|Successor system / organisation|
|1911||Bhavnagar State Railways|
Junagadh State Railways
Porbandar State Railway
|Metre gauge||485 miles (1905)|
|Associated auxiliary force|
|How to interpret this infobox|
The Bhavnagar-Gondal-Junagadh-Porbandar Railway (BGJPR) was a system comprising several short Metre Gauge(MG) lines on the Kathiawar peninsula (in western Gujarat). Owned by the four Indian States that gave the system its name. This administrative coalition was dissolved in 1911 with the constituents going their independent ways.
Original Constituent Railways
See separate pages for details
- ‘Bhavnagar State Railway’, 1880. Marked A on Map
- ‘Gondal Railway’, . . . . . . . 1881.Marked B on Map
- ‘Junagadh State Railway’, 1888. Marked C on Map
- ‘Porbandar State Railway’, 1888. Marked D on Map
Railways later joining the BGJPR
See separate pages for details
- ‘Jetalsar-Rajkot Railway’, 1893. Marked E on Map
- ‘Jamnagar State Railway’, 1897. Marked F on Map
- ‘Dhrangadra Railway’, . . . 1898. Marked G on Map
Railways following 1911 breakup
See separate pages for details', each railway working independently'
- ‘Bhavnagar State Railway’, also worked ‘Dhrangadra Railway’
- ‘Gondal-Porbandar Railway’ formed by combining ‘Gondal Railway’ and ‘Porbandar State Railway’, and also responsible for the working of the ‘Jetalsar-Rajkot Railway’
- ‘Junagadh State Railway’ worked their own line
- ‘Jamnagar State Railway’ worked its own line
No Staff Lists have been found.
"On loan" from the Public Works Department(PWD), the following are recorded in various records:-
- Richard Gardiner Lieut-Col. R.E. from PWD, 1887, Manager and Engineer-in-Chief of 'Bhavnagar-Gondal Railway' until retirement in 1893..
- Willoughby Verner Constable, 1887, Officiating Manager of 'Bhavnagar and Gondal States Railways' .
- Ernest Ifill Shadbolt, PWD Assistant Engineer from 1874 to 1884 'services lent to Bhavnagar and Gondal States' Railways .
- Horace Chaloner Knox, 1890, Executive Engineer employed with 'Bhavnagar-Gondal-Junagadh-Porbandar Railway' .
- R Wylie in 1892 Locomtive Superintendent representing Bhavnagar-Gondal Railway, which was part of BGJPR at Indian Railway Conference Association, Lahore. 'Locomotive Superintendents Conference' .
Kathiawar Peninsula Railway and Tramway Systems gives a map, timeline and relates this railway to others in the Kathiawar Peninsula.
- Western Railway (India) Wikipedia.
- Indian States: A Biographical, Historical, and Administrative Survey by Somerset Playne,R. V. Solomon,J. W. Bond,Arnold Wright
- A monograph on Indian railway rates by S.C.Ghose 1918
- Google Books " India List and India Office List, 1905" page 499 (pdf page 462) Retrieved on 30 May 2016
- Google Books " India List and India Office List, 1905" page 466 (pdf page 429) Retrieved on 17 May 2016
- “Indian Biographical Dictionary” 1915 page 390; Retrieved on 30 May 2016
- India Civil List 1890, page 41
- The Locomotive Magazine and Railway Carriage and Wagon Review "Indian locomotive superintendents of the nineties", Volume 31, Number 393, 15 May 1925, page 133+ plate. Also see Indian Railway Conference Association page ; Retrieved 19 Aug 2016